Frequently Asked Questions
You came in to Cardinal Uniforms, tried on a variety of brands, sizes, and styles and purchased your favorite ones (thank you!), now how do you keep them fitting and looking their best? Here are some easy to do tips for busy working professionals we’ve collected over the years. Please comment below if you have any additional tips or tricks, we love learning and sharing new ideas!
- slots of las vegas casino bonus Start with high quality scrubs. The saying is true, you get what you pay for. With Cardinal Uniform’s professional discount of 20% off regular price scrubs, you can purchase the higher quality scrubs for only a couple dollars more and actually save money in the long run by investing in a product that won’t fade and wear out quickly. Also, as a general rule, the higher the polyester content, the easier the care.
- vegas online casino free Protect Color. When you purchase a new set of scrubs, wash them in cold with an added ½ cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle for their first wash. This helps to set the color and help your scrubs last longer. Subsequent washes should be in cold water so as to trap color in the fabric. Warm or hot water will allow them to leak, and make your scrubs look overused after just one or two washes. Cold water also helps take off blood stain faster.
- drake online casino no deposit bonus Pre-treat stains quickly. Stains are more likely to come out of your scrubs if you soak them in a stain removal solution before washing. Try using hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, or baking soda. Consider keeping a stain remover pen or stick on hand.
- usa online casinos no deposit bonus codes Read the Care Instructions. It seems obvious, but look at the label because your lab coat or scrubs might call for “special” care.
- free online casino games for fun no download Wash (and Dry) Inside Out. When you wash your scrubs, use a sanitizing cycle to disinfect and turn your scrubs inside out to avoid unattractive pilling, help colors from fading and keep embellishments intact.
- casino slots in las vegas Stop Using Fabric Softener We know, you like how it makes your clothes smell and feel, but continual use can cause your clothing fabric to become less absorbent, which means you’re clothing isn’t getting as clean as it could be (is using it worth holding onto all those extra germs?) Also, fabric softener residue tends to attract dust and lint to clothing, which can accelerate the breakdown of the fabric on top of normal wear and tear.
- casino online all slots Inspect before moving to the dryer. Stains will set and become almost impossible to remove if they make their way into the dryer so inspect while wet to confirm that stains are gone before putting into the dryer.
- las vegas online casino bonus Prevent Shrinking. Cotton and rayon both shrink with heat! If you soak your scrubs in hot water, the heat will shrink the fabric. Even drying them directly under the sun and ironing can cause shrinking as well.
(If needed) online casino glossary 9. Disinfect Safely. Depending on what area you work in, combining laundry may not be safe, if so, wash scrubs separately from other clothing. Besides hot water, vinegar and regular household bleach can also be used as powerful disinfectant even against bacterial spoors, vegetative bacteria, TB, fungi, and other viruses. Dilute 1 ounce of bleach and 1 oz of 5% distilled white vinegar in one gallon of tap water. After which, soak your scrubs for 20 minutes, and the harmful pathogens will be gone. Antimicrobial detergents and or antibacterial fabric conditioners may also be used as disinfectants.
In my opinion, shoes are the most important part of your uniform. The wrong ones can make you ache all over and can lead to long term problems. I found this in-depth article that I feel is very helpful in explaining why the right shoes are important, what different style options are available, characteristics of good nursing shoes and how to choose the right shoes for you. I hope you find this article as useful and insightful as I did. When you’re ready for your new shoes, we’ll be ready to work with you to find your ideal pair (or pairs) at any of our Cardinal Uniform’s stores. As always, if you have anything to add or questions to ask, please leave a comment below, we love hearing from our awesome, loyal customers!
online nj casino games Best Shoes for Nurses
play free casino slots no registration Why Should You Invest In A Good Pair of Nursing Shoes?
Nursing shoes are all over the place. But let’s admit it: Shoes that perfectly combine style, protection, and comfort are hard to come by.
As nurses, it is important for us to have the right kind of shoes because we move a lot during our eight- to twelve-hour shifts. And without a reliable pair of nursing shoes, our leg and back will eventually suffer.
A quality pair of nursing shoes can support not only your feet but your legs, back and joints as well. This is important in preventing future health problems like arthritis and slipped discs which are characterized by severe discomfort in every little movement you make.
If you are just new in this profession, you might not be aware that nurses usually work in extreme conditions. When understaffed, nurses are forced to work in straight 12-hour shifts. They help in tedious tasks like lifting patients and providing assistance in bed baths. When there is a code, they also run in the hallway to get to the patient as fast as they could. Therefore, a good pair of nursing shoes will help in preventing painful heels, legs and back during and after duty.
Are you still not convinced? Here are the other benefits of wearing a good pair of nursing shoes:
- video slots casino free spins Posture support. Posture support is important in preventing low back pain and leg problems. It is also important for nurses to maintain good posture for more endurance in completing everyday tasks.
- play for fun casino slots games Arch support. According to Dr. Barbara Bergin, an orthopedic surgeon in Austin, Texas, the most important consideration for healthy shoe wear is arch support. High or low arches have been a common problem for most people so shoes with stable arch support are preferred. A great arch support will also add more comfort when you’re walking or running around a busy unit.
- best casino to play slot machines in las vegas Prevention of fatigue-related problems. Nurses are prone to develop health problems like arthritis, muscle cramps and low back pain because they are always working on their feet. These problems can be easily prevented by wearing proper shoes for hospital work.
- online casino city.com Speed and flexibility. Just imagine wearing comfortable and lightweight shoes at work. It will be easier to move around, right? Wearing the best nursing shoes for your feet is critically important in completing as much tasks as possible, especially when you are working in busy and extended shifts.
- online casino australia no deposit sign up bonus Slip prevention. A study revealed that nurses, especially those who are working in nursing homes, are more likely to suffer slip, trip, and fall injuries than workers in other industries. Spills in hospital floors is common and you should protect yourself from these with the help of water-resistant non-slip shoes. Ensuring your safety is always important and never forsake it for a cheaper pair of shoes.
- online casino mit startguthaben ohne einzahlung 2018 Maximum comfort. No doubt that being a nurse is one of the toughest jobs around. The burden of a busy shift will feel less as long as you have a comfortable pair of shoes to start with.
online casino dealer double dragon What Are The Different Styles of Nursing Shoes?
There are several styles of nursing shoes available in the market nowadays. Each of these styles is made for specific needs and working environment. Here are the three famous styles of nursing shoes that you can usually find nowadays.
- online casino im vergleich Slip-on Nurses worrying about laces all the time should consider getting a slip-on type of nursing shoes. With this style, you don’t have to worry about tying up your laces repeatedly, the risk of cross-contamination, and performing hand washing numerous times. Slip-on nursing shoes have closed back-end and are similar to standard running shoes in terms of style. This is perfect for nurses who are always on the go and don’t want to be interrupted by loose laces.
- Clogs With closed front area and open back, clogs are considered as the most comfortable nursing shoe style around. Ideal for nurses who prefer spacious footwear, clogs are also designed to relieve different pressure points on your feet. Clogs commonly have straps in the back to keep the shoes in place. They are made from leather or rubber materials and may have additional holes in the tops like Crocs and Alegria.
- Sneakers Sneakers are great for fast-paced environment like ERs and ICUs. This type of nursing shoes will cushion your feet and protect it from fluid spills. It is very comfortable to wear if you are always running around the unit.
Additional Tips & Warnings:
- Most nursing shoes are made from leather and rubber because these materials are easy to maintain and clean. Shoes made from synthetic or vegan leather are also available but not recommended as they can make your feet feel hot and sweaty. Suede shoes are also less popular because it is difficult to clean. Cloth-based nursing shoes like those made from canvas are not recommended as they can be stained easily and very time-consuming to clean. Overall, most nurses prefer nursing shoes made from rubber as they are very easy to clean, durable and lightweight.
- Backless shoes may be appealing for some but these type of nursing shoes are unstable and therefore not recommended for nurses. Backless shoe only stays on your feet as long as the arch or your toes are strong enough to hold it while your foot is swinging. Clogs are a much better alternative.
- Beware of buying “breathable” shoes as they are less likely to protect your socks and feet from accidental fluid spills.
Characteristics of a Good Nursing Shoes
Although they may look similar, nursing shoes differ from regular shoes. Nursing shoes are made to meet the needs of nurses in their everyday duties in the hospital. The primary focus of these shoes is to ensure comfort without forsaking safety. By meeting this standard, tedious tasks in the hospital will be easier to accomplish. A good pair of nursing shoes should have the following characteristics:
- Lightweight Nursing shoes should be lightweight so they will not be a burden to wear during busy and extended shifts. Lightweight shoes will also aid in preventing health problems associated with stress and fatigue from work like low back pain and muscle cramps.
- Easy to clean As a nurse, you don’t have the luxury to clean your nursing shoes every day. You are also vulnerable to accidental spills of blood and other body fluids. These are the reasons why a good nursing shoe should be easy to clean with just a wipe of damp cloth.
- Durable Because being a nurse involves a lot of footwork, it is important to get a tough and durable pair of shoes. A pair of shoes will only last for several months if it’s not tough enough to survive clinical duties.
- Non-skid You will encounter a lot of spills in the hospital floor and if you are not careful, you might slip accidentally while walking or running. For this reason, going for a non-skid shoe is always recommended to ensure safety.
- Fits perfectly Nursing shoes that are too tight or too big will result to foot arch pain and pressure sores. Make sure your shoes just fit perfectly to prevent these foot problems.
- With arch support A stable arch support is now a necessity when buying a pair of shoes. It will support your foot arch and posture when walking or running. Some people have foot arches that are either too low or too high, and using a removable orthotic inserts is recommended for this problem.
How to Choose the Best Nursing Shoes – 10 Golden Rules
In finding the best shoes for nurses, you must consider several tips so you can find the best fit for your sole. Here are the ten golden rules in choosing the best nursing shoes in the market.
- Check with your employer if there is a strict dress code in your area.
This is the first important thing to check when buying a pair of nursing shoes. Some hospitals implement a strict one-color rule in nursing shoes and the usual required color is white. However, nurses in scrub suits are commonly not required to follow such rule but it is always best to ask first. Through this way, you will be more guided in choosing the right one for your feet.
- Determine the size of your feet.
In finding the perfect fit of shoes, your feet’s size and width should always be considered. When fitting a shoe, wear the socks that you commonly use in your duties. There are socks that affect the fit of the shoes worn especially if they are too thick. Some people are also born with slight difference in the size of their two feet so when buying your footwear, always go for the size of the larger foot.
- Always prioritize your comfort.
Your feet’s comfort should not be forsaken for style. The in-sole should be soft and fits your foot perfectly without squeezing inside. Extra padding in pressure points is also helpful. You can even find shoes with gel cushions for more comfortable walking.
- Look for features that will keep you safe.
With spills and slippery flooring, your nursing shoes should not let you slip or fall. Out-soles made from high-quality and durable rubber will let your shoes have a good grip even when the floor is slippery. Most nursing shoes are made to be non-skid but it is still best to check for it when buying one.
- Go lightweight.
Your shoes should always be lightweight so walking or running quickly will not be a big problem for your legs. Walking around in heavy footwear will strain your legs and keep you from moving around quickly. Opting for lightweight shoes will give you more speed in doing your everyday tasks in the ward.
- Consider arch support.
If you will check your feet, you will notice that there is a natural arch or curve in the inner part of your soles. There are few people born without the arch in their soles and this condition is known as flat feet. A great nursing shoe should provide arch support to relieve pressure points in the feet. For those suffering from flat feet, a customized shoe which includes orthotic inserts is recommended.
- Check the shoes’ durability.
To withstand the extreme conditions nurses experience everyday in the hospital, their shoes should be heavy-duty. High-quality nursing shoes are usually made from premium materials like leather and rubber. The outsoles should be thick enough and well-stitched to the body of the shoes. Shoes made from suede, canvas and synthetic leather are not recommended as they are hard to clean and wear out easily.
- Choosing an appropriate style.
As mentioned at the beginning of this guide, there are three styles of nursing shoes available around. In choosing an appropriate style, you should first determine the style you are most comfortable with. Then, consider several factors like attire policy and the area you are working with. For fast-paced working environments where you will walk and run a lot like ER and ICU, sneakers will be best. For closed environments like OR and NICU where maintaining a sterile field is important, slip-on shoes are great. For ward areas, clogs are recommended.
- Go for an easy to clean shoe design.
Nurses are always busy and they are exposed to many external hazards like blood and body fluid spills. For this reason, going for an easy to clean design is important. Choose for shoes that can be easily cleaned with just a wipe of damp cloth. Some shoes also come with their own line of cleaning agents so the appearance and durability of the shoes will not be affected by repeated cleaning over time.
- Consider industry-specific brands.
There are shoe brands made especially for nurses. NurseMates and ScrubZone are popular ones nowadays and they produce a wide line-up of different nursing shoes in the market. Going for shoes especially made for nurses is recommended since they are made for hospital usage.
Additional Tips & Warnings:
- Asking for the advice of your colleagues is also a good way of finding the best nursing shoes for you. New nurses entering the practice are usually not aware of how important it is to invest in proper shoes for hospital work. Seek recommendations from your seniors in the hospital as their experience in finding and wearing nursing shoes is valuable to consider in getting one.
- If you work 12-hour shifts and have a serious issue on your feet, consider seeing a podiatrist. These foot doctors are trained to accurately assess your foot problems and recommend solutions or footwear that is best for you. Podiatrists commonly evaluate patients by having them undergo walking and balance tests, and identify different pressure points on their feet.